September 1, 2022 19 days left
The HMS Visiting Artists Fellowship is a new initiative at Palm Beach State College made possible by a generous grant from the Helen M Salzberg family. The fellowship aims to provide support for contemporary visual artists in Palm Beach County and works collaboratively with the Studio Art Program at Palm Beach State College.
The HMS Visiting Artists Fellowship will provide an endowment of $6,000 to one selected artist per year and facilitate exhibition and mentoring opportunities for this Visiting Artist. Selected artists will be responsible for fulfilling the following obligations:
· Selected artists will agree to donate one work or a limited-edition original print to the HMS Fine Arts Study Art Collection.
· Selected artists must make a lecture presentation for a student group and/or a community engagement workshop on or off campus. Additional funds of $1,000 per event for the facilitation of either a lecture presentation and/or community engagement workshop will be provided.
· Selected artists will be expected to make themselves available for mentorship opportunities on or off campus with the HMS Student Arts Mentorship recipients totaling 50-100 hours.
· Selected artists must write a year-end fellowship summary of their activities for presentation to the HMS Visiting Artists Fellowship Committee.
· Selected artists will agree to participate in a Biennale at the HMS Fine Arts Gallery.
Criteria for Selection
Artists in any media or level of professional accomplishment should apply, but most importantly the artist should be able to complete the required duties of the fellowship as listed above and emphasis will be placed on their ability to provide mentorship opportunities for Palm Beach State College students. The selection committee is looking to provide students with direct, on-site professional experience and engagement and applicants with active studio and professional practices are preferred. Additionally, ability to facilitate a workshop or lecture for on campus student engagement will be similarly considered as a high priority.
Any living artist legally residing in Florida is eligible to submit an application. Individuals with conflicts of interest are not eligible for award under this offering.
Applications will be evaluated based on the information submitted below. Please read the following submittal requirements carefully.
1. Images of Artwork with Annotated Image List
• Submit up to 10 images/videos of recent artwork completed within the last 5 years. Artists may submit a combination of images and videos, but no more than 10 artworks will be considered. Details of artwork will count against the total of 10 images/videos submitted, so it is highly recommended that artists submit high- resolution images.
• Submit images in .jpg or .png format with a maximum file size of 3 MB each.
• Submit videos in .mp4, .mov or similar format with a maximum file size of 100 MB. If the video file is too large for email- a direct link to the file on a cloud or video streaming platform (not a general link to artists website) would be allowed. The total combined running time of all submitted videos may not exceed five minutes.
• Provide an annotated list of available artworks in .pdf format (this must be a separate file from examples submitted) specifying the title, year, medium, dimensions, weight, edition (if applicable), and a brief description of the concept behind each artwork.
2. Artist Statement
• Submit a written artist statement in .pdf format describing the premise of the artwork(s) presented in the application, including the artistic insight into the art- making process.
3. Fellowship Statement
• Submit a written statement in .pdf format describing the mentorship opportunities that you will be able to provide for selected students as well as a description of a lecture/workshop that you would like to develop and implement.
4. Professional Résumé
• Submit a current professional artist résumé or curriculum vitae (CV) in .pdf format.
5. Proof of Residency
• Submit a scanned copy of artist State ID or a recent utility bill in artist name in a .pdf format.