St. Dominic's Press was the publishing arm of the Guild of St. Joseph and St. Dominic. The Press was founded in 1916 by Hilary Douglas Clark Pepler (1878-1951) as a means to advance his ideas for social reform. Influenced by the Distributist movement of Hilaire Belloc and G. K. Chesterton, Pepler joined with Eric Gill (1882-1940) and Edward Johnston (1872-1944) in a move to Ditchling Commons to establish a group of working craftsmen. Joined soon afterwards by Desmond Chute (1895-1962) and Joseph Cribb (1892-1967), who was Gill’s earliest apprentice, they established the Guild of St. Joseph and St. Dominic, “In order to put the affairs of the above upon a permanent basis.” Though Gill resigned in 1924 and withdrew to Capel-y-ffin to focus on his work as a stone carver, the Guild lasted until 1989. Items in this collection include examples from all of the categories of print materials that Pepler published. The Press also published serious scholarly works such as Philosophy of Art (one of the first English translations of Art and Scholasticism by Jacques Maritain). Books printed by the SDP are cataloged in the Blackfriars Gallery Library catalog. Inventory numbers based upon Taylor & Sewell.