Only 1 spot left! (2 if you share a room)
“Elaine’s last workshop in France was the trip of a lifetime, unforgettable!”
-Betsy Breakell, artist
Dates & Price
3 price options:
Level 1- Professional Artist- no instruction, but transportation and logistical support along with 2 optional group critiques. $2700
this is a wonderful opportunity for experienced and professional artists to paint in a beautiful area with a support group to make your painting easier and more productive.
Level 2- Artist with ½ day all-level instruction: $2900
For those who are looking for a plein air workshop with instruction, there will be 6 days of 1/2 day sessions each morning or afternoon at the castle or nearby painting site. We will be at the same locations as the artists who choose the no-instruction option. I will also do several demos during the week. You are welcome to paint in your choice of media. but I recommend you use oils or water-based oils or slow-drying acrylics. You do not need to have previous “plein air” experience, but some experience painting and the desire to improve your plein air painting skills necessary. You have the option of continuing to paint in the afternoons or do other activities. A full supply list will be provided on registration.
Level 3 -Non-artist companion: $2050.00 (must share room with artist)
bring your non-painting partner or spouse, there will be opportunities to bike and visit vineyards for wine-tasting. All levels include all meals, lodging, transportation to and from the train station, transportation to and from painting sites each day.
*A deposit of $500 per person USD is due upon registration. Please do not purchase airfare until you receive confirmation.
NOTE: artists who choose to share a spacious room with each other will each receive a discount of 10% off the total price.
We will be staying in a genuine fortified Medieval castle in one of the most beautiful, unspoiled regions of France! Each artist will stay in a private room with a private bath. The living quarters and bedrooms are richly decorated with period antiques and art throughout, while providing ultimate comfort with updated modern amenities.
Chateau Marouatte (Website to read more about the castle and see images)
Tocane St. Apre, Dordogne France 24350
A schedule of 2 painting sessions per day has been planned but each day you will have the option of spending time at the castle grounds, and whenever possible being dropped off and picked up at a location of your choosing.
August 21, 2022 (overnight flight to Paris if coming from USA)
arrive Wednesday, August 22
Fly into Paris and take the bullet train to the Angouleme train station, where you will be picked up and taken to the castle.
Arrive at the castle, get settled in and enjoy dinner and an introduction to the 13th century Marouatte Castle. Meet the owner of the castle and our host, music legend Miles Copeland III – former manager/record label owner of iconic bands like “The Police”, “Sting”, “REM” and “The Go Go’s” to name a few!
In general, each day we will have a different destination, where you will have the option to paint for one session or 2, with lunches in picturesque cafes, and always the option to stay at the castle grounds to paint as well.
The detailed itinerary has not been finalized yet but destinations will include:
Riberac Market day, followed by Aubeterre Sur Dronnefor lunch.
Aubeterre is listed as one of the most beautiful towns in France, has a monolithic church
Brantome with Bendictine Abbey built on the River Dronne founded by Charlemagne
Bourdeilles 10 min drive from castle, Dronne River, with mill and castle to visit
Perigueux has a medieval pedestrian quarter boasting one of the most picturesque cathedrals in France as well as Roman ruins dating from 100 AD
Grotte de Villars caves with 20,000 BC cave paintings, an abandoned Cistercian Abbey, lunch at St. John De Cole.
Fields, sunflowers, views, good for painting, lunch in Montagrier or Tocanne St Apre.
Peaceful river scenes, cows, sheep, Neolithic burial ground
What’s Included in your retreat:
* accommodations for 8 nights; private room and private bath at Marouatte Castle
* all meals (breakfast, lunches and dinners) including beer, soda and local wines from the Bergerac region. Some meals will be at the castle, some in the medieval towns.
* 24 hour use of art studio
* excursions to nearby enchanting villages
* all transportation after arrival at the Angouleme train station, including transportation to sketching locations, and pick up and return to the train station when you leave after breakfast on June 28th
* painting demos and instruction by Elaine Lisle with one-on-one easel time (for level 2 artists)
* painting onsite and travel for painting excursions to different sites each day (for all artists)
* medium and Solvent for oils – (for all artists)
* use of heated swimming pool and tennis courts
* hospitality from our host, music producer, Miles Copeland III
Dietary needs are catered for by the castle’s resident chef. All meals are included, most served at the castle in one of the dining rooms, with several lunches in picnic style or in local restaurants. At Marouatte a happy stomach means happy artists!
What’s NOT Included:
* airfare to Paris (or other France destination of your choice) Do not book until notified.
* train from Paris (or wherever you fly into) to Angouleme Train Station (you will be met at this station by the Castle staff)
* personal expenses
* trip Insurance (We strongly recommend purchasing travel insurance in the event you need to cancel for some reason. Typically travel insurance must be purchased within 10-14 days of purchasing airfare) Check with your travel agent or research online.
* paints and art supplies
(information on how to pack your supplies to follow after registration.)
* items of personal nature (i.e. toiletries, hair dryer, etc.)
* optional museum, cave tour or entry fees on excursions
This workshop will be a small group of painters. Because of the small size, I need to ensure that each seat is filled. After the initial deposit of $500, a 2nd payment of $1000 will be due January 15, 2022. the balance is due 60 days prior to the workshop, June 20, 2022
If you cancel before January 15, 2022, you will receive a full refund.
If you cancel after January 15, I will hold the deposit amount unless I am able to fill your seat in the workshop. If the seat is not filled, the deposit will be forfeited. Refunds cannot be granted due to weather or any other circumstances out of our control such as changes in travel arrangements or flights. For this reason, I highly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance policy.
Only 1 spot left! (2 if you share a room).
To reserve your spot, you can send me a check for $500 (along with the registration form)
questions? want to speak with someone who has done one of my workshops in the past? please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.